I'm always being asked what are the legal requirement for landlords regarding gas, so here is a brief summary. By law landlords must ensure that:
- Pipe work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition.
- Appliances and flues provided for tenants have a gas safety check every 12 months.
- Maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a Gas Safe-registered business or engineer.
- All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.
- They provide a record of safety checks to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check, or to any new tenant before they move in.
- They keep a copy of the safety check record for two years.
Advice on landlords' responsibilities are contained in the HSE's Guidance to Landlords and Letting Agents, which can be found on the HSE website.